Video Series: Selecting a College That's the Right Fit for You
You want to earn a college degree but you’re not sure where to start. You might ask yourself, how do I choose a school and program that are the right fit for me? Is the institution appropriately accredited and is it a Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Degree Network System (DNS) member? Will the school accept credit for prior learning, and award credit for my military training and experience? How does the institution support its military students? Should I take online or classroom courses? How will I pay for it?
On this page you’ll find basic information and facts, along with steps you can take and tools you can use to help you consider your long-term academic and career goals, and prepare for your education. Remember, the final decision is yours, but there are many resources available to help you make an informed decision.
Remember, your college education is one of the most important investments you will ever make in your future, and it's worth spending the time to ensure that you make the right decision. Your hard work will help you to get the most from what you’ve invested in your education.
Active-duty servicemembers, reservists, veterans, and family members will find useful information in these video links. We've given you some things to think about regarding your school selection, financial aid, and online education to help you on your academic journey.
The videos below were produced and directed by the Instructional Technology Department of Columbia College, Columbia, Missouri, in coordination with Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges.
- All 10 videos in one playlist
- Welcome messsage from Kathy Snead, Director of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC) (0:53)
- Introduction (Choosing a College That's Right for You) (3:17)
- Student Responsibilities (1:48)
- Selecting a School (1:46)
- Is Online Education Right For Me? (1:30)
- For Active-Duty Military (1:12)
- For Veterans (1:04)
- For Reserves and National Guard (1:26)
- For Military Spouses and Dependents (2:03)
- Information and Resources on Financial Aid (3:23)