SOC DNS Membership
SOC DNS Membership Criteria
revised July 27, 2017
The Services have approved the institutional-level SOC DNS membership criteria as listed below. These criteria reflect the needs of the participating Services.
All current DNS member institutions are being reviewed at this time; these criteria will also be used for new institutions wishing to join the DNS.
- All DNS institutions are required to be a signed member of the DoD MOU in good standing.
- Current Enrollment Trend-DoD/Services – A DNS Institution will be evaluated on the current number of active duty servicemembers enrolled at that institution. (Source: Department of Defense data)
- Current Enrollment Trend-DNS – A DNS Institution will be reviewed on the number of SOC DNS Student Agreements submitted over the last three years. (Source: DNS Data)
- Tuition – A DNS Institution will be evaluated on published Tuition rate. (Source: DoD MOU database)
- Loan Default Rate – A DNS Institution must have an acceptable Loan Default Rate, as defined by the U.S. Department of Education. (Source: CollegeScorecard)
- Median Borrowing Rate – A DNS Institution must have an acceptable Median Borrowing Rate, as defined by the U.S. Department of Education. (Source: CollegeScorecard)
- Composite Financial Health – A DNS Institution must have an acceptable Financial Composite Score as defined by the U.S. Department of Education, applies to For-Profit institutions only. (Source: Financial Composite Score Website)
- 90⁄10 Rule Violation Status – A DNS Institution must comply with the 90⁄10 rule, applies to For-Profit institutions only. (Source: U.S. Department of Education)
- Academic Residency – SOC DNS member institutions agree to require no more than 25% academic residency; 30% for degrees that are offered completely online.
- Course Completion Rate – A DNS Institution must have an acceptable Course Completion rate. (Source: Department of Defense data)
- Flexible Policies – A DNS Institution must clearly state in its catalog policies applying to servicemembers that ensure flexibility towards obtaining a degree, specifically a reference to the Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students (HEROES) Act of 2003 and a policy on course extension and course withdrawal for activation or deployment. (Source: Individual Institution Websites and Catalogs)
- Readmission Policy – A DNS Institution must have the U.S. Department of Education Readmission policy clearly stated in its catalog. (Source: Individual Institution Websites and Catalogs)
- Prior Learning Assessment Policies – A DNS Institution must have clearly stated policies on awarding credit for Prior Learning in its catalog. (Source: Individual Institution Websites and Catalogs)
- Complaint History – A DNS Institution should not have any valid complaints filed against it in the Postsecondary Education Complaint System (PECS). If valid complaints are filed the nature of the complaint and the impact cannot be excessive. (Source: PECS Database)
- Past Performance in DNS (For current or past DNS members only) – A DNS Institution must have satisfactorily met the membership requirements during the last year. (Source: DNS Data)
SOC DNS Membership Degree-Level Criteria
- Delivery Methods – Flexible and multiple Delivery Methods, as identified by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Emerging Career Fields – Degree program is listed as an emerging high demand career field with positive job placement opportunities, per U.S. Department of Labor.
- Guaranteed Transferability (GT) – Guaranteed Transferability.
- Specialized Accreditation – Degree has specialized programmatic accreditation, as identified by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Career-Related Degree – A direct relationship to MOS/Ratings. If yes, does the Institution agree to award credit for military training and experience?
- Program Articulations – Identification of existing articulation agreements (in-state, 2+2, degree completion) for the degree.
- About SOC
- Degree Network System
- Career & Technical Education
- Publications & Resources
- Workshops & Webinars