SOC's Role With GoArmyEd
SOC is the Academic facilitator between Soldiers, the Army Continuing Education System and participating colleges. GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for all eligible active duty, National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance (TA) online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning.
SOC’s team of Academic Liaisons work with participating colleges to assist them in entering and maintaining their fully developed degree programs, courses, and classes in the GoArmyEd portal. SOC coordinates with Headquarters, Army Continuing Education System (ACES), the IT Integrator, and participating colleges to ensure that the postsecondary educational needs of Soldiers are adequately addressed.
GoArmyEd is used by:
- Soldiers to pursue their postsecondary education goals
- Army Education Counselors to provide educational guidance
- Colleges to deliver degree and course offerings and to report Soldier progress
All requests for Tuition Assistance by Soldiers must be processed through GoArmyEd.
The SOC GoArmyEd team works directly with both Letter of Instruction (LOI) and Non Letter of Instruction (Non-LOI) schools in coordinating education opportunities for Soldiers in the GoArmyEd portal. A school must be approved as an LOI or Non-LOI school in order for a Soldier to request TA benefits to pay for class enrollments.
What can an Army Education Counselor do to make Soldiers aware of the academic success they can achieve while pursuing a SOC DNS degree?
Advise Soldiers on the following:
- Advise students regarding the guaranteed two-way transfer of courses in SOC DNS Course Category Codes, as listed in the Transferability Tables.
- Explain how the SOC DNS Course Category Codes are integrated into the GoArmyEd system.
- Be familiar with the Joint Services Transcript (JST).
- What does a SOC DNS degree look like in the GoArmyEd Portal?
All SOC DNS degrees offered by member institutions are listed by degree title in the GoArmyEd portal.
- Fully developed degree plans are listed with a hyperlink. Search for degree by college, then click on degree title to view degree requirements.
- Drop-down degrees: Search for degree by college, contact the college point of contact to obtain the degree requirements. Drop-down degrees are identified by a superscripted ‘d’.
- What is the difference between an LOI School and a NON-LOI school?
The term Non-LOI school refers to accredited, postsecondary education schools that have not signed a Letter of Instruction (LOI) with the Army to integrate their schedule of classes and course registration processes with GoArmyEd. Non-LOI schools only need a Web-based GoArmyEd account to process Tuition Assistance (TA) invoices for Soldiers using TA at their school and to record Soldiers grades for TA-funded classes.